Monday, September 10, 2007

Why a Temple of Female Consciousness?

Why a Temple for Female Consciousness? What do I mean by female consciousness? (And can consciousness even be gendered? More on this in upcoming posts!)? Is this a space intended exclusively for women? No. Not at all. In fact, over the past decade of my life I have come to know an ancient spiritual tradition, the Shakta Tantra tradition of South Asia, where male and female energies are viewed as complementary, not competitive or hierarchical. These energies are experienced not only as equal, but equally vital to our existence. Shakti, the dynamic, creative animating force that permeates all existence; and Shiva, the passive, receptive, quiescent force that is the ground of all being… these beings, these forms of consciousness provide a totally different understanding of the workings of the world and what is possible. Over the coming months, those of you who visit this Temple of Female Consciousness, will, hopefully, experience this other reality. Each entry will be a journey into the temple of my soul, into the luminous as well as shadowy souls of others, and countless sacred sites and realms of consciousness. We will begin with Goddess Durga, Goddess of Invincible Strength, Remover of Fear and Difficulty. The quintessential role model of Female Consciousness. This is Her Temple. And we will pay homage to Her very soon….

1 comment:

MiriamSPia said...

I read this. It could be interesting. Even within traditional philosophy I have managed to also read De Beauvoir, Irigaray, Ayn Rand, even Mary Wollstonecraft and assembled 'women in philosophy'. In fact, my MA research is about creating a female perspective in reading Hegel and a female way of interpreting GW Hegel. I ended up "like Sartre" in that Middlesex offered me an MA but wanted to 'recategorize' the research. I said no, because I feel it is imperitive to create new methods of discuss to establish a co-ed body of literature and methodology in Philosophy. The only reason I said no was to stay in philosophy even though I will be using the ladies room and yet wrote in ways to threaten the feminist mainstream as well as men. So, I think this is cool. This Temple of Female Consciousness - sometimes called goddess, or Holy Mary or The Queen of Heaven, or most commonly, Mom/my.